Join Omnitech Software Engineer Kevin Logan for part one of a lunch-hour dive into Unit Testing.
The combined talks will include a short introduction to unit testing in general, along with some hands-on-keyboard work following Kevin with C# MVC API unit tests. The lessons will be broadly applicable to unit testing in general, including other programming languages.
To make the best of this workshop, please download repos and tools beforehand and do a little preparation:
- Get familiar with some reasons why you should test, etc
- https://www.aligneddev.net/blog/2018/getting-started-with-unit-testing-presentation-version/ (audio at the bottom)
- PowerPoint https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B3783D1F70699E8E!122302&authkey=!AJIRwSCLunYZSv0&ithint=file%2cpptx
- Git clone https://github.com/aligneddev/unitTestingGettingStarted
- Switch to the workshop branch, we’ll be working from
- Git checkout workshop
Requires VS 2019 (2017 will work too), .Net Core 2.2 (or newer as time goes on), node.js (https://nodejs.org/en/, LTS, this is installed with VS if you check the right feature)
You’ll need .Net Core 2.2 installed, check your Add or Remove programs or in the command line dotnet –version
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-core/2.2 => get the sdk
The second meeting will give us time to talk about experiences and look into integration testing in .Net Core.
IMPORTANT: Parking will NOT be available in the Raven lot for this presentation. There may be nearby lots or metered parking on the street or ramps, but you are on your own for this event. Please be sure to walk directly to the Raven training facility rather than the main Raven building, and do not arrive at Raven more than 15 minutes early. Raven’s been gracious with their facilities, but we will lose the space if we are not respectful.
It’s OK to bring your lunch in, just try to help keep the place clean.