CentralSquare is a unique enterprise software company whose mission is to build safer, smarter, more connected communities. We serve over 7,500 organizations in North America, from large cities to counties and towns of every size. We provide software for managing public safety (#1 market share) and public administration (#2 market share), enabling first responders to do their jobs as effectively and safely as possible. Learn more by visiting www.CentralSquare.com.
This Software Development Manager collaborates with our Director of Software Development in creating and reviewing strategic plans for the continuous development of high-quality applications within our Public Safety Pro Suite. As a skilled developer and leader, they are responsible for guiding the developmental work practices, professional growth, and project goal achievement for the Development Team.
Job Duties Include:
- Lead, mentor, and provide technical guidance to team on a day to day basis
- Work closely with internal and external customers, software engineers, and product managers to determine requirements for the development of each module
- Lead team in implementing and carrying out strategic plans
- Establish and maintain relevant controls and feedback systems to monitor the operation of the department.
- Plan, evaluate, and improve the efficiency of business processes and procedures to enhance speed, quality, efficiency, and output.
- Delegate assignments to subordinate leadership team to achieve objectives
- Suggest and develop departmental policies to the Director
- Determine resource utilization to meet schedules and goals, including planning, staffing, budgeting, and managing expense priorities
- Facilitate and lead high level technical and planning meetings
- Provide performance feedback and conduct formal performance appraisals
- Provide support to employees in the establishment and achievement of goals
- Remove barriers, advocate for employees, identify performance improvement opportunities, and promote professional development
- Proactively establish and manage succession planning/professional development plans
- Ensure team compliance for all policy and procedure related information
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of professional development experience including developing complex systems and working in an Agile/Scrum environment
- Knowledge and experience in business, supervision, and management
- Outstanding interpersonal relationship building and employee coaching and development skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop a department and department staff members
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a knowledgeable resource to the organization’s management team that provides leadership and direction
- Evidence of the ability to practice a high level of confidentiality
- Comprehensive knowledge of task planning and development work practices
- Knowledge of Scrum values, principles, and practices
- Understanding of software architecture, principles, and common design patterns
- Understanding of QA principles and knowing how to test software.
- Able to lead a cooperative effort among members of a project team and across departments to deliver results on time and within scope
- Able to negotiate with customers and management
- Able to provide feedback, encouragement, and training to reports to develop a professional work environment
- Understand the value of effective communication and lead the team in promoting communication
- Great organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks effectively
- Great presentation and facilitation skills
- Certifications a plus
- Public safety knowledge a plus